Scholarship funds are available from a variety of sources for students.
Check with the college or university where you will be or are attending, as they may offer scholarships for your area of study.
Here is a listing of some scholarships targeted to students of Italian descent, students interested in the Italian language and culture, and/or students intending to further their education by majoring in Italian studies.
Lago del Bosco - Concordia Language Camp, Minnesota
- Study Italian at Lago del Bosco (exit WisItalia) - An Italian immersion summer camp for youth (7-18 years old), families, adults and educators, located in Minnesota. Schedules and registration for summer 2012 (exit WisItalia).
Youth Scholarships (exit WisItalia) now available. Apply for a Cuomo Scholars Award to attend Lago del Bosco, the Italian Language Village!
To apply, complete a short essay about why you want to learn Italian and/or about Italian culture. Winners will be asked to produce a short media project after their session at Lago del Bosco that explains one element of Italian cultural, political, or scientific contributions—ancient, historical, or modern.
Amount: $500 toward a 1, 2 or 4-week session at Lago del Bosco
Deadline: April 12, 2012
Eligibility: Students ages 8-18 years old.
Online Application Form (exit WisItalia)
- Gogebic and Iron County Paisano Club - The purpose of the club is to supply scholarships to local high school students who are of Italian descent. The club awards a total of $800, with $200 scholarships going to four different schools: Ironwood, Bessemer, Wakefield in Michigan; and Hurley in Wisconsin. They do not have applications; instead, they let the school Guidance Counselors select the recipients.
Address: 5885 W. Rangeview Drive, Hurley, WI 54534
Contact Person: Dorothy Walesewicz (715 561-2459)
Application Materials: Contact your guidance counselor
Application Deadline: Contact your guidance counselor
- Italian-American Women's Club (IAWC) - Provides annual scholarships to Dane County high school seniors (males and/or females). For 2012, the IAWC will award up to two ($1,000 each) Italian-American Women’s Club Scholarships. You do not need to be Italian to apply.
Address: Marcia Smecko, Attn: Scholarship Committee, 1304 Neponset Trail, Monona, WI 53716
Contact Person: Marcia Smecko (608 221-2648) firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarship Application Form and Instructions (pdf)
Application Deadline: April 14, 2012 (postmarked)
Italian Workmen's Club (IWC) - Provides annual scholarships to high school seniors. This year in 2012, they will present $5,000 in scholarships to seniors who are graduating from a Dane County high school. Seniors intending to go to a four-year program of higher education are eligible for awards as high as $2,000. Seniors who intend to pursue a two-year degree in a technical or vocational program are eligible for awards as high as $1,000. This year they will also be administering The John Scalissi Memorial scholarship for $500. To be eligible for any of these scholarships, the student must attend a Dane County High School and be of Italian descent.
Address: IWC Scholarship Committee, 914 Regent Street, Madison, WI 53715
Contact Person: Joe Cabibbo email@example.com
Clubhouse Telephone: 608 258-1880
Application Materials: Scholarship Application Form and Instructions (pdf)
Application Deadline: April 15, 2012
Multi-County Area: Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha
Chapter of UNICO and the Ladies
of UNICO - Will award several
scholarships in the spring 2012 to high
school seniors of Italian descent.
To be eligible, applicants must
attend a public or private school
in Milwaukee, Waukesha,
Ozaukee, Washington, Racine,
Kenosha or Walworth counties.
Additionally, the student must
hold an academic standing in the
top 15% of the graduating class
and/or a relative standing in the
upper 15% on a college aptitude
test (ACT or SAT).
The spirit of this scholarship is
to help needy Italian American
Financial need, scholarship, community/school involvement, and
personal character are the criteria
by which the applicants will be
Address: Scholarship Director of UNICO Milwaukee, 10625 W. North Ave.
Telephone: 262 691-8868
Contact Persons: Prudence Camuy, firstname.lastname@example.org or Sophia Michalovitz email@example.com
Application Materials: www.unicomilwaukee.com. Select the documents link found on the sidebar.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2012
Awards Banquet: May 15, 2012
- Order Sons of Italy Fillippo Mazzei Lodge #2763 - will be awarding two scholarships in honor of Chris and Mike Manno for the year 2012. One scholarship is awarded in the amount of $2,000 directly from Filippo Mazzei Greater Milwaukee Lodge, on August 15, 2012, at the Italian Community Center in Milwaukee, WI. A second one in the amount of $1,000 to be conferred in conjunction with the Illinois-Wisconsin Grand Lodge at the October 2012 Columbus Day Banquet, in the Chicago area. Both scholarships require attendance at the Milwaukee or Chicago venues. This announcement should be of interest to every high school graduating senior of ITALIAN origin who reside in the following counties: Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha.
Address: Scholarship Director of OSIA, Attorney Frank J. Schiro, c/o Filippo Mazzei Lodge #2763, 1551 N. Prospect Ave. (P.O. Box 510500), Milwaukee, WI 53202 (firstname.lastname@example.org 414 271-7776)NOTE: See also the National OSIA scholarship information.
Contact Person: UWM Professor Simonetta Milli Konewko email@example.com
Application Materials: 2012 Scholarship Application Form (Word)
Application Deadline: April 30, 2012
- Roma Lodge - Roma Lodge has several different scholarship programs - The Roma Lodge Merit Scholarships, the Darryl and Jeana Sturino Life Long Learning Scholarship, and the Russell and Helen Missureli Scholarship.
Roma Lodge Merit Scholarships - Each year, Roma Lodge makes scholarships available to children of Roma Lodge members who are in good standing as of January 31 of that calendar year. Two of the scholarships are for $4,000 each, payable in $1,000 increments at the beginning of each of four academic years. In addition to the two renewable $4,000 scholarships, the Lodge awards a maximum of three one-time $500 scholarships to the third, fourth, and fifth place rated scholarship applicants. The scholarships can be applied to any course of study leading to a recognized baccalaureate degree in any accredited United States college or university of the recipient’s choice.
The Darryl and Jeana Sturino Life Long Learning Scholarship - Created in 2008 and funded by Darryl Sturino, a member of Roma Lodge and his wife Jeana. The scholarship awards $1,000 to a member of Roma Lodge regardless of age or to a child, age 17-25, of a Roma Lodge member who has been accepted in or is currently enrolled in a baccalaureate or higher degree program in any accredited college or university in the United States. Financial need as well as scholastic achievement and community service are the basis for selection of a recipient.
Russell and Helen Missureli Scholarship - Created in 2010 to recognize the service they gave over many years to Roma Lodge, the church, and the community at large. The funds were donated by the family and friends of Russell and Helen Missureli on the occasion of Russell Missureli's ninetieth birthday. The scholarship awards $1,000 to a graduating high school senior who is the child or grandchild of a Roma Lodge member and who has been accepted in an associate degree or baccalaureate degree program in any accredited college or university in the United States. In addition to community service, scholastic achievement will also serve as the basis for selection of a recipient.
Address: Roma Lodge Scholarship Committee, Attn: Dan Cupertino, 7130 Spring Street, Racine, WI 53406
Scholarship Information: Detailed informational flyer (pdf)
Contact Person: Jerry Perona firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials: Materials available by February 6, 2012 at http://members.romalodge.com/scholarships.html
Application Deadline: March 23, 2012
- Italian-American National Hall of Fame - Founded in 1975, the Italian-American National Hall of Fame is dedicated to recognizing and perpetuating the memory of the consistently outstanding contributions by Italian-Americans to their communities, the country and the world. The Italian American National Hall of Fame will again award scholarships to High School seniors.
Phone Number: 609 586-9010
Application Materials: http://www.ianhof.org/pdf/IANHOF_Scholarship.pdf (pdf fillable)
Application Deadline: February 1, 2012
- National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) - The NIAF has an education budget of $1,000,000, and will award scholarships and grants to outstanding students in the summer for use during the following academic year. Scholarship awards range from $2,000-$12,000. Each scholarship award can only cover tuition and university-provided room and board. Scholarship recipients are eligible for one year of scholarship support. Scholarship monies not used during one academic year are not transferable to the following academic year. Scholarship applicants and winners can and are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years. The awards will be made on the basis of academic merit and divided between two groups of students:
General Category I: Italian American students who demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements in any field of study.
General Category II: Those students from any ethnic background majoring or minoring in Italian language, Italian studies, Italian American studies or a related field, who demonstrate outstanding potential and high academic achievements.
Website: http://www.niaf.org/scholarships/about.aspNIAF’s 2012 Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery program. This all-expenses-paid trip for Italian American university students covers round-trip airfare and 10 days of educational programs in Italy.
Application Materials: NIAF applications can only be submitted on-line. www.niaf.org/scholarships/index.asp
Application Deadline: Available November 1, 2011. Due March 2, 2012.
Announcement of Winners: May 11, 2012
Trip Information:NIAF also considers matching scholarships with other organizations. To establish a NIAF scholarship, contact Alessandra Dall, grant and scholarship manager, at email@example.com or call 202 939-3118.
Trip Date: Summer, 2012
Trip Destination: Veneto, Italia
Application Materials: NIAF applications can only be submitted on-line. www.niaf.org/voyageofdiscovery/voyageofdiscovery_form.asp
Application Deadline: Available November 1, 2011. Due January 20, 2012.
Date of Notification for All Applicants: Friday, March 2, 2012
Participant Acceptance Deadline: Friday, March 16, 2012
- Order Sons of Italy in America - Each year, the Sons of Italy Foundation (SIF) offers 10 to 12 merit-based scholarships, ranging from $5,000 to $25,000.
General Scholarship - National Education and Leadership Awards (NELA) - U.S. citizens of Italian descent (at least one Italian or Italian American grandparent) enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a four-year, accredited academic institution for the Fall 2010 term. Previous SIF scholarship winners are not eligible. All recipients of the NELA scholarship must be in a matriculated program of study either on the undergraduate or graduate level.
Henry Salvatori Scholarship - Established by the late philanthropist and businessman for whom it is named, the Henry Salvatori Scholarship is a grant awarded to a college-bound high school senior who demonstrates exceptional leadership, distinguished scholarship and a deep understanding and respect for the principles upon which our nation was founded—liberty, freedom and equality.
Charles Evans Scholarship - Established through an endowment from The Charles Evans Foundation. The scholarship is named in memory of Charles Evans, founder of Evan-Picone fashion house, a U.S. veteran, entrepreneur and lifelong philanthropist. Among his career accomplishments, Mr. Evans was executive producer of the award-winning film "Tootsie." Turning personal challenges into positive outcomes, Charles Evans crusaded for causes close to his heart, namely Alzheimer's disease research and fire detection safety.
Italian Language Scholarship - U.S. citizens of Italian descent (at least one Italian or Italian American grandparent) in their junior or senior year of undergraduate study for the Fall 2012 term, majoring or minoring in Italian language studies at an accredited academic institution. Previous SIF scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Sant'Anna Institute-Sorrento Lingue Language & Culture Study Abroad Scholarship - Sant'Anna Institute-Sorrento Lingue will offer 1 scholarship for study abroad at its campus in Sorrento, Italy, from August-December 2012. Enrollment and course fees only are covered by the scholarship. A 30% discount on accommodations will be extended to recipients. Travel to and from Italy, accommodations, and all other expenses not included. Additional information and application materials (exit WisItalia).
Sons of Italy Foundation® / George L. Graziadio Scholarship - U.S. citizens of Italian descent (at least one Italian or Italian American grandparent) who are students at the George L. Graziadio School of Business and Management at Pepperdine University in California. This scholarship requires a special application. Contact the Graziadio School of Business at 310 568-5500 or www.bschool.pepperdine.edu (exit WisItalia).
Address: National Leadership Grant Competition, Sons of Italy Foundation, 219 E Street, NE Washington, DC 20002NOTE: See also the OSIA Fillippo Mazzei Lodge #2763 scholarship information.
Application Form: www.osia.org/documents/NLGC_2012-Application-Form.pdf
Processing Fee: A non-refundable $30 processing fee must accompany each application. Only money orders will be accepted; no checks or credit cards under any circumstance. Make money orders payable to the Sons of Italy Foundation.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2012
Announcement of Winners: May 1, 2012
Questions? Contact 202 547-5106 or firstname.lastname@example.org